Hello beautiful people, The Creative Minds team thought it wise and imparting, to promote skills acquisition and Art and Craft, so this morning it would be about Cake baking, and we bring to you one of the very best masters of cakery…
Kolade Aminat Taiwo,The Owner of Ara Cakery is a 400l student of botany, Obafemi Awolowo University,Ile-Ife,Osun state in Nigeria. She believes with much practice,you’d get better with cake baking and decorations.
Hear from her!
You are all excited,right? I am too, as I love teaching people especially on what I know how and love doing .So,this morning,I’d be teaching you how to bake a plain cake!.There are different types of cake,in fact there are so many e.g chocolate,red velvet, fruit cake,sponge cake etc.Cake baking is becomes simple if the steps are well applied.It is important to follow each measurements as assumptions can be dangerous.Some steps might seem insignificant but they sure have their effects.Baking a cake can be done by anyone but decoration and designs require more effort and practice. Simple designs are easy to do but when it comes to cake modeling,one has to learn or undergo many tutorials.Also,this requires many equipments.
For someone who bakes for fun,one needs to have just the basic equipments,such as the mixer,which can be replaced by turning stick and egg whisk.Athough using a mixer makes it much easier and faster but they are quite expensive.One can go for the tokunbo mixer which is cheaper.Other equipments are
- Measuring cups and spoons or Scale
- Bowls for mixing
- Baking pan:they come in different sizes
- Oven / a pot can be used(inside this pot,sand or stone or a metal can be placed to prevent direct placement of the baking pan in the pot and maintain the heat supply.
- Cooling rack/tray/cake board
- If you are making cupcakes,you need the imported or local cupcake pans. The imported one would be lined with cupcake paper.
Now,the next thing is to bake a cake! We would be making a 500g cake…this 500g wud fill a size 8 pan and you’d also get some cupcakes.
The materials needed are
- Flour-500g or 3¾cups
- Sugar-400g or 1¾ cups
- Egg-10 eggs(preferably not the small ones)
- Butter-500g or 2 simas butter
- Baking powder- 1½ tablespoon
- Flavour-liquid or powder
- Preservative-liquid or powder
- First,prepare your pan.Rub the pan with butter and dust with flour.This will make d cake come out easily.
- Mix your butter and sugar until its very fluffy.if you are using mixer,it would take 30-1hr depending on the mixer..If you are using a stirrer,u have to maintain one direction till you finish.
- Add the eggs.If using a mixer,add the egg one by one and mix.If using stirrer,use an egg whisk to mix the egg until very foamy.Then pour into the butter-egg mixture and mix well.
- Measure your flour and sieve.Add all d dry ingredients(baking powder,flavor,preservative,nutmeg)
- If the flavor and preservative are in liquid form,add to the butter-sugar mixture, the logic is to add powdered to powdered and liquid to liquid
- Fold in your flour into the butter–sugar-egg mix.Folding in is very important as it allows air which will make the cake to rise well.
- You can add any colour of your choice at this point
- Then pour your batter into the prepared pan.
- Put inside the oven or pot.
- Do not open the oven or pot too often as it will make the cake fall.
For large cakes,do not open for the first 30-45 mins
To test if the cake is done,dip a toothpick or the handle of a spoon and if it comes out clean without any batter sticking to it,your cake is ready!!!.
Tutorial by Kolade Aminat Taiwo- CEO ARA_CAKES
Find some pictures below:
You can follow @ara_cakery on Instagram to see nice cake pictures!